Animal Welfare Policy
JSC Putnu fabrika Ķekava shall be committed and responsible for animal physiological and etiological needs throughout all growth period starting from hatching to slaughtering for obtaining meat for human needs. All animals being raised for food are treated with respect and are properly cared for during their lives will ensure that the birds they raise are taken care of with the highest standards starting at hatch
The company ensures animal welfare in accordance with national and European Union laws and regulations, including world-wide known animal welfare “The Five Freedoms”:
1. Freedom from thirst, hungry and malnutrition by ready access to fresh water and diet to maintain health and vigor.
All animals are provided free access to feed and drinking water whenever the animals feel hungry or thirsty. Animal nutrition is balanced with animal physiological needs that is appropriate to their species and suitable in accordance with the relevant animal breeder recommendations
2. Freedom from fear and distress by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering. We provide animals with gentle and attentive care throughout growing period, during transportation to the slaughterhouse, and during the slaughter process.
3. Freedom from physical and thermal discomfort by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
We provide a safe and comfortable living space for animals protecting them from frost, rain, draft, extreme temperatures and predators. They are raised in large, open broiler houses. The houses are well-equipped with mechanical systems to deliver feed and water to the birds and have environmental systems to provide a comfortable and protective environment, including ventilation systems and heaters. Rest period is provided including the period of darkness.
4. Freedom from pain, injury and disease by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
We provide constant monitoring of animals, husbandry, and veterinary care, as well as the humane treatment of sick animals and slaughter animals. Throughout the lifetime, the animal growth and development is monitored by trained, qualified personnel. Animal health surveillance, disease prevention and control are performed by certified veterinarians.
5. Freedom to express normal behavior by providing sufficient space, proper facilities, and company of the animal’s own kind.
We provide animals with dry, clean, and soft bedding for well-being.